Prevent the Unexpected: Beware of Unlicensed Tradespeople
While we all want to save a buck or two when we purchase goods, hiring an unlicensed tradesman may just do the opposite, which can be too much of a risk.
We’re not saying that they can’t do the job. Quite the contrary, they could be very capable of doing it and may even have enticing reviews from past clients. The problem is that they have not gone under the same training, costs and effort compared to their licensed counterparts. It’s just too risky to make sure that your investment would be well worth it. Of course, a license is not a guarantee to finish the job picture perfectly or in the right time frame, but it does provide the client confidence and help if something ever goes wrong. A license is evidence that the Tradesman has passed the state exam and shows that they are knowledgeable in that field.
Basically, once you use the services of an unlicensed Tradesman, you become responsible for the work they perform. Of course, you won’t be fined for hiring an unlicensed tradesperson as you did not break any law, but you are held responsible for any damage they may have caused to your property. You are also liable for any injury the tradesperson may have received on your property.
What to Do When Gathering Quotes
1. Get in touch with the tradesperson and ask about their level of experience.
2. If you think that they could do the task properly, set a time for a pricing negotiation.
3. Make sure you ask for their license number, ABN and if they are covered with insurance.
4. If they fail to meet those listed above, then do not go further with the quotation. These are the types of tradesman that you might prefer to avoid.
5. Explain everything that you want to be done in detail and provide this same explanation to every tradesman involved in the project.
6. Go with your instinct. If you’re comfortable with a tradesman, then it might be best to negotiate with him.
So think twice if you’d risk it before hiring a tradesman. It would save you a lot of trouble, not to mention saving lots of cash. For more ideas about licensed tradesmen, click the link: https://www.youplumbing.com.au/learning-centre